Harry Edwards

01952 505835

Frequently Asked Questions


Q: What is a Social Fund Funeral Payment?

A: This is a one-off payment to assist with meeting funeral expenses. It is recommended that anyone who is unsure whether they are entitled to claim completes a form and receives a formal decision. The claim should be made by the Nearest Surviving Relative of the deceased. A surviving partner is considered the responsible person to claim, and if there is no surviving partner, immediate family – surviving parents, sons and daughters are considered. If the deceased has nobody else, a close relative will be considered. The claimant must be in receipt of one of the following benefits:

Income Support
Income based Job Seekers Allowance
Housing Benefit
Council Tax Benefit (including second rate rebate)
Working Families Tax Credit
Disabled Persons Tax Credit
The claim must be made within 3 months of the funeral date.

< Back to Questions